Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Meaning of the Name

The name Nicodemus has Greek origins and means the following:

nico = leader, victor
demus = people

Therefore: leader of the people, or victorious leader. I may put more info on this in a future post.

There is also an interesting Hebrew connection that can be made. The transliteration of the Hebrew words is as follows:

na-ke = innocent
dam = blood

These two words are found together in several Scripture verses, including:

Deuteronomy 19:10
"That innocent blood be not shed in thy land, which the Lord thy God giveth thee for an inheritance."

Proverbs 6:16-17
"These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood...."

Personally, I like for the words to remind me of the innocent blood that was shed for me at Calvary.

1 comment:

  1. to lisa nicodemus lyons,my name is margaret walter.i'm a direct descendant of conrad nicodemus.the 9th child born to conrad was george nicodemus in 1799;the 8th child born to george was daniel nicodemus in 1833;the 1st born child born to daniel was michael nicodemus in1856;the 4th child born to michael was ira s. nicodemus in 1890(my grandfather)the 7th child born to ira was my mother barbara l/ nicodemus(walter)in 1931.please write me a letter. i would love to hear from you. inclose a photo if you can. send it to margaret walter 1918 8th ave.altoona,pa.16602. thank you very much newly found relative. you can call me if you want;i would love to talk with you. my phone no. is (814)946-1257. with love and prayers always,margaret walter

    ReplyDelete